View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #45
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesCameronOnl View Post
Thats not what Im saying although I absolutely dont agree if youre saying looks dont matter. They matter a whole lot, thats why directors pick actors who also have the"right look" or express a certain aura and persona. Again, for me Katie portrayed a little girl who seeimgly wouldnt be dangerous at all and who physically can be laughable for others as a threat, yet her personality greatly ougrows her physicality and surprises whoever meets her - and thats in part thanks to Katie's portrayal and in part thanks to her looks and what Nolan aimed for
No no. I was talking about looks in general: beautiful wins automatically over ugly. Not about the "right look" for a certain character. That because you have mentioned Katie's cute face vs. Maggie's eye bags so often. And I don't know exactly why is rachel supposed to be cute.

Now, Rachel was created from scratch. Any look would have defined her partially (apart from what's in the script). But nothing in the story pointed to a 'little girl.' She was supposed to be brave and very moral but nowhere it's stated that she's supposed to look fragile but be strong. That's just the way it came out since Katie hardly looked mature and strong.

Quote:
Nolan: Katie also has a maturity beyond her years that comes across in the film and is essential to the idea that Rachel is something of a moral conscience for Bruce. (indielondon.co.uk)
That's a good thing. But beyond Katie's eyes, her acting was too poor to meet those expectations. She didn't sound or look mature except for what it was written for her to say.

Maggie, on the other hand, has that maturity both on her face but also in her acting.

Quote:
Maggie for me was just an obvious casting for a character, a lazy casting and a very ordinary character. She looks like a worn out old DA (I know shes not much older but shes so old looking and unnatractive that she really looks like over a decade older) and really shes a 'what you see is what you get". I never found her Rachel to be sympathetic or anything other than bland at all and therefore didnt feel for her at all.
What you see is what you get. Unless Rachel's supposed to be a deceptive character, that is hardly a bad thing to say about any cast.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote