Originally Posted by jamesCameronOnl
What I meant was the whole "seemingly innocent and fragile, yet stronger than a giant" approach. Its an extra layer that Katie's delicate looks added. It may seem trivial, but its still an extra layer and I wouldnt agree that its trivial. I think it was very substantial to the character development in BB because we dont know right away how Rachel is. Then we see her bravery and fiesty character and its not what you would expect from a seemingly harmless and innocent character like this girl. Katie does a lot with the character, shows us her attitude but also shows its a lid, a layer hiding a person with great wisdom and someone who loves and want to be loved, and someone who can also be very sweet. She can be very harsh and tough on Bruce, but then she can be a very understanding, caring and sweet for him as well.
Maggie does nothing with the character I think. I cant think of one instance in TDK where she wouldnt have a PMS or attitude towards Bruce. Every single time they meet or see each other she is either annoyed, dismissive or pissed off towards him. For me she portrays a very dime a dozen character and a very unlikeable one. A typical, average, ordinary, worn out woman from DA's office. She portrays no depth and no layers with her portrayal in any way. Katie had many flavors and facets in her portrayal, Maggie plays it straight and plays a generic character
Well now lets see:
- Katie's first scene; She's trying to tell Bruce not to go to Chill's trial, and justifying him getting off on a technicality so they can get Carmine Falcone
- Second scene, she's slapping him in the face for wanting to kill Chill, and saying his father would be ashamed of him
- When they are reunited after he returns years later, she tells him he's too busy swimming with women, and what he does defines him
- When she delivers his birthday gift to him; "You enjoy your party, Bruce. Some of us have work to do"
- Then their final scene, where she tells him once he stops being Batman they can be together
What exactly does Katie do with the character other than nag Bruce, and take pot shots at his behavior every chance she gets? She can't even contain herself when she's just bringing him a gift on his birthday.
In TDK, the only time Rachel gets flat out upset with Bruce and has harsh words about him is when he lets Harvey take the fall for Batman.