View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Visceral Batman Essays

Thanks Vis, I wrote an entire essay (10 pages) and showed to a few people on the Hype. I suppose I will feel a little more confident after I hear their responses.

Regarding Batman - I do think that Nolan was trying to comment something about the 'super'heroism that Batman represents, perhaps a post-heroic sense of heroism? Nevertheless, I've always seen Batman as someone who stops criminals first before saving people (I know it's a weird distinction and perhaps a false one), but if we follow that (that he stops criminals who are threatening innocents?) then the TDK dilemma reads like this: The point was to try and save the work and ideals of Harvey Dent from the corruption of Two-Face. I do think this interpretation can be made. Just as well, the implications do not shed Batman in a negative light, but in a positive one. But anyway, I'll save the debate for another time.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote