View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

I think it is obviously going to be difficult for Singer to see what was wrong with his movie. He made it, and he made it how he wanted it, and so it appeals to him in every way.

However, what he's not doing at all, is acknowledging OUR opinions of what was wrong with the film and learning from it. He's basically very unapologetic about it.

He says nothing about the casting, nothing about the use of yet another 'land' scheme from Lex, nothing about the humungous plot hole of the 'superman's kid' story... or anything else that fans have actually pointed out as the flaws.

Instead he seems to be suggesting that SR bombed because audiences can't handle something that 'deep' from their hollywood summer blockbusters...

Arrogant or what?

And to keep harking on about how Superman is like Jesus and Moses and that's what the movie was about? And to suggest that he was trying to make a comic book movie that girls would line up to see? ... It's just really hard to read stuff like that and actually respect his opinion.

I think what SuperDaniel was saying, and I agree with, is that he obviously hasn't listened to what we think is wrong with the movie... like he's just ignorant to it, and has come up with his own justifications for why the movie failed (that put NONE of it down to any mistakes HE made).

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote