View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
I think Singer's biggest problem is that he really only has one reference point and that's the Donner films, and I don't think he actually understood them. I think he latched onto one aspect of the character with which he identified and ran with it. His perspective on the characters and the Superman universe is extremely limited and he just didn't know how to tell a good Superman story based on that one reference point and the one angle of the character- loneliness. To base a whole Superman story around that and have it dominate all aspects of the film including story, theme and tone is just a recipe for disaster.

Essentially his version of SUperman attempts to show that the only reason he accepts Earth as his home is that because of Jason he's finally not alone. That's just incorrect in every way. Earth is his home b/c despite his biology he's emotionally human. And Singer didn't understand that Jor-El was wrong when he said "You aren't one of them." The whole point of Superman: The Movie and SUperman II is to show that he IS human and he has to forego a normal human life b/c his responsibilty to be SUperman is so great and he CHOOSES to do the selfless thing b/c he's been raised by the Kents to be a good person- a selfless person.
Yeah I agree.

By treating Superman like christ, he treated Jor-el like God. Like everything he said was absolutely right, and cryptic and wise. And his attempts to constantly ram the theological similarities in our faces (even though IMO they aren't there in the first place unless you put them there), made sure that Superman was always going to be this outsider, lonely and sacrificing himself for the humans because it is the will of his father.

Which is IMO one of the biggest mistakes you can make with a Superman movie. You want him to fight for more than just the lives of all the little humans. You want him to fight for HIS home, for HIS humanity, for HIS life that he's built here, and for the values that his parent's taught him.

He doesn't save the world because it's his Destiny, or because the spirit of his dead father tells him too. He does it because it holds everything that's important to him, and everything that he loves.

I swear, I really hope that Singer's sees Snyder's movie and leaves thinking 'Okay... maybe he's not like Jesus.' or 'That's what Superman is about? I had no idea!'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote