View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Using Christ metaphors isn't a bad idea if done right. The problem with Superman Returns was basically that it was a rehashing of the Donner film. Despite Spacey doing a good job, there wasn't much development in Lex beyond another land grabbing scheme. Also having Routh and Spacey speaking Reeve and Hackman's lines at times didn't help that.

I also don't think it explored the public's reaction to Superman returning, which I thought was part of the synopsis of the film and one of the themes that would've been addressed.

Routh's performance was okay. It wasn't anything special, but it was okay. I like his mild-mannered Clark Kent the most out of everyone's I've seen.

All in all, I think Singer's heart was in the right place but as someone else said, he was using the Donner film as his central source and inspiration when it should've been the comics. Nothing wrong with having homages to the film, as the color palette of the film and the look of the Daily Planet had a Fleischer feel to it, which I loved btw. But among the homages, the comics should've been the base source to go from.

I recall reading Routh's interviews when the movie and reading him discussing Superman. He came across as pretty knowledgeable and it almost felt like he knew more about Superman than Singer did.