View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Of course you know Donner was the one who did this Jesus thing in his movies, which Singer just took up again.
I had no idea that Donner saw the theological comparisons too, has he ever spoken of it? I'd be interested to read his thoughts on it.

I certainly didn't find it as obvious in STM as I did in SR... I mean did STM have Superman falling to earth with his arms outstretched like Jesus on the cross?

It was just OTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
You are getting more and more trollish every single day.

You spent months and months talking about Cavill and how you wanted him as Superman, you were practically obsessed with the idea. Cavill has been cast as Superman, and you spend more time saying the same thing over and over again about "Superman Returns". The horse is dead dude, stop beating it. It's a waste of time and you're giving everybody a headache, including the moderation staff.

Why don't you go enjoy discussing the new Superman flick and stop fretting over something you didn't like. I have never seen anybody talk about something so much that they scream at the top of their lungs that they hate.
Now I don't usually like to question a moderator...

...but isn't it a bit unfair to scold someone for discussing what is wrong with Superman Returns in a thread called 'Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' didn't work?'...

What on earth are we supposed to be discussing in this thread if not that?

I don't know how frequent SuperDaniel's SR bashing is in other threads, but surely in this one, it's justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
I don't know, I feel like I come close sometimes!

I think it's an indication of how polarizing SR is. There are a number of folks who absolutely despise it, and some who love. But the majority are somewhere in the middle and really don't care about it.

To be honest, it's more engaging and interesting to discuss what you don't like as opposed to what you like. There's only so much 'rah rah' that is palpable. But when you get into a good argument about the merits or lack of merit of a film that is engaging. And addicting.

I really haven't thought much about SR until the Snyder film started getting some actual news and then Singer's news item. I actually plan on watching it again in the next few days after Superman:TM and the Donner cut of II. I'm hoping it will put a little different perspective on it for me. It's a Superman film, I want to like, but so far my attempts have been in vain...
SR is a film that I both love and hate. I love it because some of the visuals are beautifully done. Because I am a girl, and it does appeal in a slightly girly way to me. Because I like Brandon Routh.

But I hate what the film did. What it achieved (or failed to achieve). How far it actually set Superman fans back. And how hard it makes it to justify myself as a Superman fan to my friends.

I hate the blatant disregard for it's OWN continuity. I hate the ideas present in a storyline that basically has Superman romancing an engaged woman. I hate that they lacked the originality to come out with a villainous plot with Lex, that wasn't almost exactly the same as the previous (even containing the same dialogue of 'Do you know what my father told me' 'Get out' 'No, LAND! blah blah'...

There is plenty to complain about, and yet shamefully, I watch it quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I thought Marsen's character was more likable and relatable than Superman.
I agree, Marsden's character came across as a really decent guy, selfless, understanding and heroic.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote