View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #33
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Using Christ metaphors isn't a bad idea if done right. The problem with Superman Returns was basically that it was a rehashing of the Donner film. Despite Spacey doing a good job, there wasn't much development in Lex beyond another land grabbing scheme. Also having Routh and Spacey speaking Reeve and Hackman's lines at times didn't help that.
I get your comments about Lex and the Donner references. But what do those have to do with Jesus metaphors done right?

Quote:
I also don't think it explored the public's reaction to Superman returning, which I thought was part of the synopsis of the film and one of the themes that would've been addressed.
That'd have been interesting. But I don't know how much that would have played for the anti-fun anti-optimistic tone that apparently every minute of any Superman movie must have.

Quote:
Routh's performance was okay. It wasn't anything special, but it was okay. I like his mild-mannered Clark Kent the most out of everyone's I've seen.
I agree. Some things he did, even when he was copying what Reeve had done with the character were as good or even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I just felt Singer tried to pander to Donner's films too much. The most annoying thing, for me, was Lex. I've never liked the portrayal of Lex in the Donner films. Hackman was a good villain, but he wasn't a good Lex. Same applies to Stacey.

Why not make your own film with your own vision?
Yes, it was a matter of choices. And what choice can copnnect with most people today.

Even so, being a fan of the Donner movies I couldn't help but enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I had no idea that Donner saw the theological comparisons too, has he ever spoken of it? I'd be interested to read his thoughts on it.
More than Donner it was Mankiewicz's script, but Donner certainly didn't remove or hide any of those references.

Wikipedia:

"Superman was released with critical acclaim and financial success. Reviewers noted parallels between the film's depiction of Superman and Jesus."

So people did notice those references in STM. Donner said that "I had life threats, because people accused me of approaching Brando as God and his son was Jesus. I literally had people saying my blood would run in the streets for doing that." Link: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...#ixzz1KBFwLLqt

About the audio commentaries of the dvd:

"Donner, Tom Mankiewicz and Ilya Salkind have commented on the use of Christian references to discuss the themes of Superman. Mankiewicz deliberately fostered analogies with Jor-El (God) and Kal-El (Jesus). Donner is somewhat skeptical of Mankiewicz' actions, joking "I got enough death threats because of that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I certainly didn't find it as obvious in STM as I did in SR... I mean did STM have Superman falling to earth with his arms outstretche d like Jesus on the cross?

It was just OTT.
If that was so ott, I'd assume you found this as ott:

There you have the crucifixion to save all people. The injury on Jesus' side. Descent from the cross. Crucifixion pose again and resurrection.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote