View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #45
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
El payaso, the Spider-man scene has more to do with the hero's sacrifice than jesus.
Yes, and in Superman case... was the same.

How was it different? Or did Superman say "This I do it in the name of Jesus"? No. It was Superman's sacrifice and no one else's.

Quote:
Its a fleeting moment in the movie and we get it.
The train scene fleeting? No, you're not getting it.

Quote:
In Sr is in your face all the time.
All the time? He makes a crucifixion pose for 10 seconds and that's all the time?

In fact Spiderman makes the crucifixion pose far more time than Superman.

Quote:
You cant possible compare Spider-man to the way Superman has wrongly been portrayed in the movies.
I am comparing how a scene in a Spiderman movie has all the same Jesus elements than in a Superman movie scene. But some people complain just against one (as if parallels and references between two stories or characters in movies were something to complain about).

What's the difference then?

Bias.

Quote:
Superman is not and should not be a jesus allegory. He is an allegory of greek gods, moses etc.
Ah, I see. It's not the Biblical comparison but what Biblical character are you comparing Superman to.

Moses, yay.
Jesus, nay.

Thing is both Biblical characters are compartable to Superman. Jesus has as many or even more similitudes than Moses.

So, why one and not the other exactly? Care to explain?

Quote:
His creators were jews and did not believe in Jesus.
And I'm sure Stan Lee didn't believe that Frankenstein or Jekyll & Hyde were real, nevertheless he used those references for Hulk.

Quote:
Donner just didnt understand the character's roots also which is why am glad this new movie is going in a different direction.

The difference is...In the Donner movies this is just a small problem i have with it and i can excuse it because it is was the 70's and it is a great and a fun movie with a bunch of awesome scenes. Cant say the same for SR. And every little problem I have with it becomes greater than it is because of expectations I have for a modern Superman movie and what can be done with the character after reading so many great stories in the comics.
So the Jesus thing was not the problem actually. I thought so.

Quote:
The whole problem with SR is that the story is an interpretation of a interpretation of a story about Superman done in the 70's. And not a story about SM himself in modern times.
Yes, that's why it's a sequel.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote