View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #49
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
El payaso, if you think Spider-man has been portrayed as a jesus allegory on the same level Superman has been in the movies, theres nothing more to be said about the subject.

Its one scene in spider-man (done much better in that movie than in SR) versus the whole characterization of krypton, jor-el and Superman.
I noticed you mention that Superman and Spiderman weren't at the same level of jesus allegory. So you admit Spiderman is in that category.

But no, not at the same level but it's there if you want to believe it's there. With Uncle Ben giving Peter guidance ala Jor-El, through lucid dreams, both Peter and Ben sitting in the middle of a heavenly white surrounding.

Quote:
Plus, the jesus allegory is just one of the minor problems. Its not the fact that they used it because superman has those connections but its the fact that they ONLY used that interpretation and whenever Singer talks about Superman, he talks about it.
Yes, that's why it's a sequel.

[/DEJA VŮ]

Quote:
My big problem with the movie is The whole plot that simply doesnt work, the luthor scheme is ridiculous,
It's old school taking-over-the-world type of scheme. Many have tried it.

Quote:
superman is out of character by spying on lois, breaking up families, lois lane being horrible characterized also.
And destroying a taxi, throwing Zod to an abyss and having a personal vendetta on a human trucker. That's Donner Superman. This is a sequel to that, but this Superman is not more out of character than what I've mentioned.

Lois Lane is also modelled after Kidder's take, selfish and ambitious. Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
The spying thing is funny to bring up and it is a very curious scene but I think that it's talked about far too much. It's not even in my top 100 list of problems with the film.

After five years of talking about it I guess I can say that my main problem with the movie besides the rehashing was the film's complete lack of energy. It's just a fairly boring movie in almost every way. If all of those strange plot points would have been in an exciting more I think that Superman 3 would be coming out this summer. Singer isn't as good as a director as he believes IMHO. He isn't good enough to make a down to earth Superman movie with no physical threat, exciting or interesting enough.
Or if it had been as bad and dumb as Transformers 2.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote