View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #40
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I've seen a lot of people in this thread (and others) mentioning that this is something DC won't do or DC is afraid to do. Good. I like what Marvel is doing, because the characters are designed to interact and work together. That works out easier, because most of Marvel's major characters were created by the same guy. But with DC characters they have their own separate, gigantic mythologies, especially the Big 6. Not to say there's something wrong with either company, but I prefer Marvel heroes working together because that's how they were designed and DC's heroes exploring their worlds alone because that's how they were designed, besides obvious team-ups like the Green Lantern Corps. for Hal, Robin for Batman, or Kid Flash for Flash.
Here's the thing: Marvel is doing this and they have an intricate plan. Warner don't seem to have a plan but they're doing it anyway. Jeff Robinov's still pushing a Justice League project that sounds like the one he wanted before The Dark Knight came out--the one that would have cast a different actor as Batman. You would have had two actors playing Batman in two different movies at the same time. They didn't seem to think this was a problem.
I think that, by now, everyone's adapted to the idea that Nolan and Bale aren't willing to participate in crossovers. Here's what's really puzzling: neither can Zack Snyder's Superman:
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/zack-s...erent-superman
Quote:
When asked how Warner Bros’ decision to move forward with a League movie affected his Superman, he responded:

“It doesn’t. Like what Chris Nolan is doing and what I’m doing with Superman, what they’ll do with Justice League will be its own thing with its own Batman and own Superman.

“We’ll be over here with our movie and they kinda get to do it twice which is kinda cool.”
"Kinda get to do it twice."
Let's remember that Batman 3 and this new Superman come out in 2012 and you could see this Justice League film as early as 2013. Different actor playing Superman, different actor playing Batman. Right now, we've every indication that Ryan Reynolds won't be in it.
It's possible that they've got someone from the comics side of DC telling them this is OK because DC's had "multiple universes" for decades. This is not a comics multiverse. In comics, doing "Flash of Two Worlds" requires only that you hire someone who can draw both versions of the Flash. On film, Justice League's Batman can never meet Christian Bale. Nor, I suspect, will any characters controlled by separate producers at Warner.
I think Warner don't know what they want to do with these properties. They certainly have walls of bureaucracy to push through that Marvel doesn't, but Marvel specifically designed their studio to function in a way that would save them headaches when dealing with continuity and casting. If Warner are ever willing to put all of these characters in the hands of a producer as strong as Feige, they might be able to put a plan together. Before that, they're going to have to endure a couple years of everyone wondering aloud why they made Jonah Hex when Marvel was assembling one of the decade's biggest IP Machines.