Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Thats funny.
What exactly is?

Quote:
SR isnt romantic in any form( Donners is much more and done right). The romance between lois & superman which is one of the core aspects of the mythology is misguided and wrongly interpreted. And the female character of the movie is a train wreck. So i cant imagine how a romantic would find SR appealing. Unless he believes in ruining familes, breaking up relationships and being deadbeat dads. So,he never appealed to any of the audiences at all.
Lois has always been a train wreck in these movies. Getting herslef in an elevator under an atomic bomb and whatnot.

And what, have you ever heard of families killing each other, unfaithfulness, murdering the person you love? Try Shakespeare and you'll find that in his romantic plays. Best romantic stories are not always about red roses and walking alon g the seashore.

Quote:
Exactly. Those circumstances are exactly what is completely wrong about this movie because if it wasn't for them, Superman wouldnt act out of character. The core aspect of the mythology is the love triangle built around 2 people and not some outsider and them.
Says who? Why can't a third character be there in the mix? Triangles about 3 characters are a usual device and there's no reason why can't this be one of those cases.

Quote:
How is Superman ever be with Lois or be able to be a father to his son without ruining a decent family and a decent person?
First of all things, Lois doesn't even love that decent man or else she would have married him. That's why she doesn't hesitate in going towards Superman again.

Quote:
Sorry but I don't want these kind of problems associated to Superman or in a summer blockbuster.
We all know that Transformers 2 and those kinds of formulaistic movies are the right ones to be labeled as summer blockbuster. I'm not ashamed or anything that SR doesn't fit that label.

But then agauin, wasn't Bryan Singer himself the one saying that "Superman Returns was a bit nostalgic and romantic, and I don't think that was what people were expecting, especially in the summer," and that SR was "probably too "heavy" for a summer movie."

So I see you and Singer agree on that. Which makes me wonder why you keep saying he doesn't get it.

Quote:
Moreover, the whole movie based around the idea that Superman left without saying goodbye. Sorry but the Superman I know and the Superman showed in SII specifically said "I won't let you down again".
And I believe Superman was told that he couldn't change human history, and yet he did when it was about resurrecting Lois. You see how this Superman has often to go on different directions of what he says. And, Donner or not, it's totally against Superman to have a personal vendetta abusing and showing off his powers, and yet he did in SII.

Quote:
Singer didnt even get the facts right when he wrote his messed up story and sequel that not even him understood what was cannon or not. He simply selected parts from it that he liked or not. Moreover, Superman would call a press conference, like Superman IV or even Lois & Clark, and explain what is going on. And he would also tell Lois if they were romantically involved and that is what a Superman does.
Sorry, did Superman call a press conference when he decided to quit his powers in order to be with Lois? No. Right or wrong, this is the same Superman.

Quote:
This "I was afraid to tell the truth" simply doesn't work with Superman.

It's a half-assed explanation thought about someone who didnt know Superman as a character and his motivations at all.
Wasn't he afraid to tell Lois the truth about his identity in STM right after the romantic flight? Yes, he was. Right or wrong, this is the same Superman.

Quote:
These fundamental flaws with the story just makes it a bad Superman movie. Sorry. And didnt even talk about Luthor's plan...
Luthor's plans, same as Superman motivations can be seen in Donner movies, which this movie is a sequel of.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote