View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #62
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Here:

As you can clearly see, continually blaming the lack of success on the film being 'too heavy' for an audience expecting a blockbuster summer movie.
Yes, he never says that Superman shouldn't be a summer blockbuster or that people were wrong by expecting a summer blockbuster in a Superman movie. He is not blaming the audience. In fact, as I said and you probably didn't read, he blames himself because he admits he never thought of what the audience was expecting, he just made the movie he wanted.

Here I go all over again:

He said that the target audience was wrong. And guess who was the obvious one to think about it in the first place? Himself.

He never said "Audiences didn't get the movie." He said that the target audience for his Superman movie wasn't the right one for a Superman/action/summer blockbuster movie.

He even says that he should have thought about it but that "when you're making a movie, you're not thinking about that stuff." That is where he puts the blame on himself. He favored his approach over the target audience for a summer blockbuster movie. And that's the mistake he admits.

And even says that if he were to make another Superman movie he wouldn't do it that way. If he were blaming the audience he wouldn't be admitting that a different approach would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
My interpretation of 'too heavy' = too intelligent, too deep, too thought provoking...
Well, if you're going to interpret things the way you want, then I can say "heavy" is just too complicated. But you're just poutting words in Singer's mouth and speculating what he might have said.

Had he said "a summer blockbuster is always too light for my taste" I'd agree with you.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote