View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #63
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
He never said "Audiences didn't get the movie." He said that the target audience for his Superman movie wasn't the right one for a Superman/action/summer blockbuster movie.

He even says that he should have thought about it but that "when you're making a movie, you're not thinking about that stuff." That is where he puts the blame on himself. He favored his approach over the target audience for a summer blockbuster movie. And that's the mistake he admits.
And yet he says at the end, that he's proud of the movie, and would only like to tighten the first act...

When your making a movie, OF COURSE your thinking about that stuff... ESPECIALLY when your making a summer blockbuster superhero movie!

And beyond that point, it's still him blaming the audience he aimed it at...

He's saying he was aiming it at women, as well as saying he was aiming it at Superman: The Movie nostalgia fans.

I'm a woman, and I didn't like the movie. I know plenty of people who loved Superman: The Movie and it's sequels, and find Superman Returns an awful attempt at following it. So IMO he failed to even achieve what he was aiming for.

The movie failed because it was a bad storyline, with badly written dialogue, terrible casting and a lack of charecterisation IMO.

Not because it was aimed at women, or because it was released in summer and everyone expected a blockbuster.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote