View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #70
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Yes, I do want him to acknowledge some of the popular criticisms of the movie. Not just MY criticisms, but criticisms many many fans have made.

I don't feel he's done that at all. He seems to have turned a blind eye to all that, and given an opinion of why his films failed that makes him sound good. The 'mistakes' that he admits too, are IMO very reluctant. By saying that he made a 'nostalgic' movie and that if he had a chance again he'd make a balls to the wall action movie, it feels as though he's saying that if he could do it again, he'd make a movie that catered more towards people that don't go to the cinema for anything but thrills.

As a girl, I would probably have loved a girly, sentimental superman movie in some ways. A Lois and Clark love story, with some cool action moments. SR could have been this in a lot of ways, and there are parts of it that I do like. There just is so much more to the reasons it didn't work, than it being directed at the wrong audience IMO.
That's a waste o time. People can say whatever they want and if we ask 2,000 people we'll get 2,000 different opinions. Nobody has to take those 2,000 opinions seriously enough as to acknowledge as if they were all worthy.

What is he going to say? Hey Bryan, people thought the kid was a bad idea. Ah well, good for them, I liked it.

Quote:
I guess that's what bothers me though - that instead of analysing what is wrong with the actual storyline and casting and anything else of the film he created, he's just saying that the TYPE of movie that he created isn't what people wanted. That he'd make a different type of movie. But as he says, with the movie itself, he'd only tighten the first act.
When he says he'd do a movie with far more action he's implying the movie lacked action too. All what's different between his movie and the kind of movie he thinks people were expecting is what's wrong with his movie. As he mentions, too much romance, Jesus allegories, etc.

According to most reviewers the movie was good enough. Singer happens to agree.

Quote:
He doesn't have to agree that the kid was a bad move. I'd just like him to acknowledge the reasons why people didn't think it worked, and give the reasons why he thinks it does.
Maybe if the interviewer had asked that. But apparently he only asked what he thought didn't work about the movie. And the interviewer himself interpreted that as: "Bryan Singer is admitting that he made some mistakes with his own film." You didn't like the movie and are asking for a mea culpa kind of thing.

Now, more or less opinions about the movie, Singer was admitting things and was far from blaming the audience, as you claimed. What you wanted to hear is not a set-in-stone standard for where arrogance starts.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote