View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #79
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Default Re: Bryan Singer: Why 'Superman Returns' Didn't Work

the biggest problem was what the film actually was...

Superman III , the Re-Do....

which most of today's audiences DIDN'T want...they wanted the balls-to-the-wall, action-packed Superman movie that they've been waiting for....

instead,Singer decided to make a homage to the Donner films...and he made a good homage to the Donner films....but this was neither the time nor the place for that...

A) audiences don't want films with that type of pacing...not today,where you expect more bang for your buck...
B) it was hopelessly destroyed before it ever premiered because you had 2 new actor's (Routh and Bosworth) attempting to fill the shoes of 2 previous actor's (Reeve and Kidder) who made their versions of these roles iconic...i mean,they LITERALLY were meant to be the Reeve and Kidder versions of Supes and Lois,and it was just destined to fail on that respect...and when the 2 leads are destined to fall on their faces,well then the movie doesn't stand much of a chance,does it?

i WILL commend Singer for making the movie HE wanted,and as a kid who was born in the 70's and grew up with the original films,i can appreciate the sentiment of going back there...but Singer SERIOUSLY miscalculated the "Modern" audience for a Superman film in assuming that everyone would want to see the past brought back again...

mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote