View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #67
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Regarding the cosmic stuff:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/01/28...ios-wish-list/
Quote:
"I'd love to break into the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe even more — it's kind of there in 'Thor,'" [Feige] said. "J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek' got me jonesing to do that. It's what I grew up on — 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars.' I want to do a big space epic. And we've got them in Marvel."
http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1162772p1.html
Quote:
Feige said that following Avengers, "Thor will go off into a new adventure, and Captain America will continue to explore the modern world in another film of his own. We hope that holds true for the characters appearing in that film — Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the spy organization, S.H.I.E.L.D. —all of whom are more than worthy and capable of carrying their own films. And, we've got a lot of other characters we're prepping and getting ready for film debuts: the world of martial arts, these great cosmic space fantasies, Dr. Strange, and the magic side of the Marvel Universe. There are many, many stories to be mined.
When they showed the Infinity Gauntlet at Comic-Con, I don't think they were pulling our legs. In a chat session last year, Kevin Feige said they try plan out where they're going with these films five years in advance. It's worked out that five years will have passed between the production of Iron Man in 2007 and the release of Avengers in 2012. If "Avengers Assemble" was the "arc" uniting their first batch of films, what's next?

In case you didn't see it in person or it's not clear from the photos, I'll remind you: that gauntlet was the size of Thanos' giant hand.

Let's make some connections:
http://www.movieline.com/2009/07/why...perheroine.php
It happened a while ago that Scarlett Johansson was namedropping other Marvel characters she was in talks to play and one of them was "Moon____;" something she couldn't quite remember. Since we're obviously not talking Moon Knight, that pretty much leaves Moondragon. The question that follows is: why on earth would a character like Moondragon even come up in a conversation with Marvel at this point?

http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=20758
The "Poni" dude who writes for **************.com posted this some time ago: slivers of info from, he claims, an anonymous source at Marvel:
Quote:
The characters being considered for inclusion are: Captain Marvel (an amalgam of Mar-Vell and Noh-Varr), Adam Worlock, Black Bolt and Nova. Several of these roles are already being written into the current film treatment, and actors are already being pursued to portray them.

Other characters that may find a way into the film(s): Drax the Destroyer, Moondragon and Eternity. The Guardians of the Galaxy may have their own team film in the works.
It initially sounds like a random assortment, and I'd guess this was a guy who got to flip through a big pile of pictures and notes that only vaguely suggested where the movies might be going.
Moondragon's mentioned in the same breath as Drax the Destroyer. Higher up, Adam Warlock. These are all members of the Infinity Watch, a group that was formed after the first Infinity Gauntlet story, dedicated to preventing the reassembly of the Infinity Gems. If you're going into Jim Starlin/Thanos territory, it completely makes sense that you would think about using these characters. What's more, all three of these characters have been part of the recent Guardians of the Galaxy relaunch. Kevin Feige hasn't just mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy, he specifically said:
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/08/06...of-the-galaxy/
Quote:
"I think what Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction have done with 'Iron Fist' lately is exciting," Feige told MTV News. "I think 'Black Panther' and Wakanda has some amazing potential to be a feature film. 'Doctor Strange,' as you've mentioned. There are some obscure titles, too, like 'Guardians of the Galaxy.' I think they've been revamped recently in a fun way in the book."
Nova's not just a character who could possibly show up in a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, he's been recently written by the same guys responsible for the recent GoG comics: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.

If they're making a Doctor Strange movie, it makes perfect sense to include Eternity--there's no element more iconic in the original Lee/Ditko stories.

That leaves Captain Marvel and Black Bolt. Both play huge roles in the Kree-Skrull War, which we're pretty dang sure plays into the upcoming Avengers film in some form. We learned just over a month ago that Marvel's looking for writers for an Inhumans film. Again, there's Black Bolt.

Just putting this post together has helped me better see how these pieces potentially fit; the Guardians of the Galaxy film sounds like it's being conceived as a Star Wars-type adventure following a group of space heroes fighting to oppose a tyrannical Darth Vader/Darkseid figure in the person of Thanos. You could crash that into an Avengers sequel and have all of these characters get into a big cosmic wrestling match, just like in the comics.