View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #83
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Getting Spidey and X-Men back has to be on their minds, at least in the long term. Those are big important franchises for Marvel. Surely those licenses won't last forever, even if Fox or Sony keeps cranking out sequels I would think there would have been some sort of clause allowing the properties to revert after a specified period of time.

Here's hoping, anyway. Probably won't matter for another 5-10 years, if that. I know I'd kill for an X-men movie with the same respect given to Iron Man and Thor.
For X-men, I think all they would need to do is write a check. We'll see what first class does, but if it turns out to be another Wolverine, then Fox won't have much interest in continuing the franchise.

For Spider-man it's going to be a tough road to climb. Over a billion dollars domestically for Sony, for the first three movies, and a franchise that plays well in every market, especialy Japan which is a big deal for Sony.

It's hard to tell how the reboot is going to turn out, but I've really liked what I've seen so far. And if it's successful, you can pretty much forget Marvel Studios getting the rights back for at least 10 years.