View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #267
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Thor the best Marvel Studios movie so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
So what do you watch? Only newly released films, Memento and Inception? Your opinion of 90% of blockbuster films actually degrades relative to the number of viewings over time? I may periodically tire of things I enjoy, but I don't stop enjoying them. I might move on to other things for a while, but I'll eventually come back to anything I had fun watching. And when I do, I almost never find the film worse than when I left it.

People like certain films for a reason...because they LIKE THE FILMS. They also watch those films multiple times for that same reason. Your logic doesn't make sense.

I like pizza. If I eat pizza for a week straight, I'm going to be a little tired of pizza. I might not eat pizza for a month. My personal opinion of pizza has not changed, however.
Don't take offense. The answer is I don't watch most blockbusters a whole lot. When I first came to these boards I watched X1, SM1, X2, etc. countless times (now I really can't watch them at all because I have them too well-memorized), but these days I appreciate blockbusters that are well made and enjoy them for what they are. But most of them aren't meant for massive consumption (though not all, for example LOTR, The Dark Knight, Inception, and IMO the first POTC come to mind). It would be like eating pizza....but only pizza. It just gets boring and nutritionally unfulfilling.

And for me the answer is to watch more than blockbusters. Just last year had a slew of great films released. Some were blockbusters and popcorn entertainment (like Inception, Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass come to mind) but there was also The Social Network, Black Swan, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Fighter, True Grit, Shutter Island, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, Rabbit Hole, etc.

I'm not trying to be snobby....just saying that if you cast a wide net, you won't over-scrutinize on just the fan movies. And the ones that I really love, I revisit (TSN, Black Swan and KA for me, though I'm not saying you have to like what I like). Same with rewatching films. If I'm going to rewatch a movie I've seen a dozen times, I prefer it to be The Godfather, Shadow of a Doubt, Double Indemnity, The Graduate, Network, Singing in the Rain, Casablanca, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Goodfellas, The Godfather, Jaws, Back to the Future, etc. Just not superhero films that mostly follow the same formula and story structure.

This is coming off way-snobbier than I intended. What I'm trying to say is a movie that has so much going for it that you can watch it dozens of times and always take away something different from it (perfect example: LA Confidential) is more fun to revisit than a formulaic piece that never lives up to that first experience (perfect example: Spider-Man). I'll stop now before I sound anymore unintentionally elitist. If anyone knows what I'm saying, feel free to add in.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote