View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I think your reading into things a bit too much. What you imply requires that these things be done with intent and malice. Do you seriously think, Michael Bay and other film makers sit around before making a film and try to come up with ways degrade the people that thy are trying to portray?

I'd like to point out that even James Cameron follows your second rule. Other than Dark Angel, he's never made anything where the lead role was not white. He must be racist.

The problem is that most people don't read into things enough...

...which is the EXACT problem with Michael Bay and co. He doesn't really think about anything before he does it. He does things "because they look cool" or because it's "funny", wherein the belligerently ignorant, juvenile, frat-boy attitude of entitlement prevails. But you're right, there is no fore-thought of malice, just blissful ignorance.

Although I wasn't being literal with the smattering of examples I offered up there, I can see they were interpreted as such. I've got no qualms with James Cameron (I haven't seen Avatar, so I don't know), most hollywood films are white-washed anyway. That's a given. The problem, as I believe I explained, is that the secondary, minority characters in Michael Bay movies (and others, to be sure) are plainly used as jokes and stereotypes. That's the big difference.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote