View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPider-T0rch View Post
Is there a point to this thread at all? If anything, it seems to me that it was made to try to justify the dislike of the whole movie. Honestly, I don't care if anyone hated DOTM, whatever their reasons are. However, it's like you're trying to put down people who liked the movie by pulling out the racism, jingoism, sexism, and homophobia cards.

I sincerely doubt that Bay or any director of recent action movies are going out of their way to portray those things on-screen for the audience to mimic. If someone walks out of DOTM and starts to act out the juvenile humor from the movie, then the responsibility is on THAT PERSON, not Bay.

This can be compared to the issue of violent video games. Parents are so busy pointing fingers at the video game developers for creating these games when they and their children are the ones responsible when they act out what the see in a video game. The creators shouldn't be attacked for what they made. Yes, their games may contain very offensive things but it is never their intent to make people go out and shoot each other.

This is barely worth answering to, as it seems you didn't read/grasp the initial post.

Is there a point to any thread at all? As far as I can see, this is the only one looking at the underlying messages in the film. I realize these films have a lot of supporters, but there's no need to be so defensive about it.

Yes, it's true that video games, music and movies have long been the perfect scapegoat for parents and teachers. The fact of the matter is, these violent games, while they might not be exactly hurting anyone per se, they sure aren't helping anyone either. Some people are more violent than others (always have been, always will be), but out society doesn't need the unnecessary encouragement, in my opinion. How many school shooting do you think there were in the 1950's?

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote