View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
PowersOfMind
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post

I for one am both fascinated and perplexed by the sort of twisted hate and misogyny that these movies perpetuate. I find it hard to believe that people are actually entertained by this sort of stuff.
I won't deny the truth of this, however you seem to be looking down your nose at people who are entertained by this and other films like it.

Quote:
-Sexism: Specifically, the objectification of women- Women are trophies to be won or lost. They must always appear sexy and seductive (for all the adolescent boys and peter-pan syndrome boy-men watching).
This I happen to agree with. Bay has this T&A fixation,that's evident in a few of his films, though I think in this one it was a bit more noticable. As a woman, it made me feel slightly uncomfortable, but there were serveral other aspects of the film I enjoyed. There are plenty of movies that objectify women, yet there are many that don't.

Quote:
-Racism: If you're not white, you exist as a peripheral character. Most likely comic relief or some other stereotype (the stoic black man). In other words, you're disposable and you're a joke (blatantly racist buck toothed robots not withstanding).
Blatantly racist buck-toothed robots?

The problem I have with this is such: I think the person viewing is the one with the problem. That's not to say that there aren't moments when I sit and think something may skirt or cross the line into racism.

As a African-American I don't get why people automatically fly to the idea that the jive-talking robots are black. I don't know any black people that speak that way. I know there are those that do, but they don't make up the majority. Where does that come from? It's internal I think. Robots aren't defined by race on human terms, so why that specific designation? Unless you already have a pre-coceived notion of how blacks speak, why do you designate the idiot robot as black? To me that speaks to the idea that already ligers in the back of your mind.

As for black men existing as peripheral characters: well in an overstuffed cast like this who isn't a peripheral character.

If we were dealing with a smaller, more concise cast, on a definitivly more consise movie, I could get behind that.

Quote:
-Jingoism: America is the best and the military is #1. English, dude, English.
Bay loves his country and the military, deal with it. Again I think this is the wrong movie for you to use this argument on. In films where the military is supposed to pull out all the stops to protect itself and the country it hails to, of course they're going to appear more awesome than is necessary.

Last edited by PowersOfMind; 07-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
PowersOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote