View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #38
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
I know this is the Transformers board, so I didn't have any great expectations in terms of the responses I'd receive, but I was maybe, kinda hoping for at least a little bit of critical analysis. Jonathan Crane and a few others have made intelligent statements, but the rest of the responses seem to have been made defensively without actually having read and understood the initial post. I knew reading and comprehension was down in this country, but holy smokes.

All the things I listed exist in movies across the board, no doubt about that. My qualm is with the fact that it is so brainlessly and nonchalantly accepted and even praised. It's this mindless zealotry that leads to bigger box office and big box office tells Hollywood that this stuff sells. So what do we get? More tripe like this, more often where racism, sexism, jingoism and homophobia are OK as long as it's "just a brainless action movie". To everyone who's made an excuse defending these films- wake up, get your head out of the sand and demand more of your entertainment. Unless you're fine with complacency. Otherwise, have fun living your life never having had a thought of your own.

This may all come off as very insulting, but it's no more of an insult or a giant middle finger than what Michael Bay/Hollywood is giving to you all when you pay for a ticket to and watch this movie.

If that doesn't make sense to you, it's no use explaining it 'cause you just won't get it.
You should really check out the chud.com message boards. They're genuinely interested in actual film criticism and analysis. They'll happily, and insightfully, discuss themes, messages and auteur theory. Unfortunately, as I learned years ago, there's a sad absence of openness to ideas around here. Hence, why I post so irregularly.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote