View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 AM   #40
bullets
bang bang

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
First, I wanted to ask how the view was from that high horse you're sitting on?

You really seem to get off on insulting people. You may perceive these things from films, but that does not mean others share your views. And, it most certainly does not make them any less intelligent than you. Nor, does it give you the right to smugly sit their and insult them.

You have a point, that as long as people buy movie tickets, Hollywood will continue to produce what sells. That's simply smart business. Every company with a CEO with half a brain will do the same thing, and they would fail if they didn't.

To address each of your issues...

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.

Racism.
Since when is not casting a minority as your lead,made you a racist director? While it is true, that not many minority actors get big rolls, and even fewer get awards, I don't see how this makes the directors racists. Spielberg, for example. This is the guy who essentially shut down Megan Fox's career for making a Hitler remark, yet only one of his films has ever stared a minority in a lead roll. Does this make him a racist? The same can be said for James Cameron.

Jingoism.
Seriously? Bay portrays the American military kicking the crap out of invading alien robots, and this somehow means that he supports aggressive foreign policy and advocates the use of threats and unprovoked force to protect America? That's a bit of a stretch.

Homophobia.
There is a huge difference between belittling someone's manhood, and being homophobic. A homophobe believes that what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, somehow effects their way of life. Telling a guy to run home to his boyfriend is not. That comment is designed to insult his masculinity. This is something a lot of guys take seriously. Society has shaped the role of the common man, and we guys tend to try and fit it. Women do similar things, too.

I hope this clears thing up for you, but then again, I'm just a Transformers fan, and you know, you really shouldn't expect much from us.

By the way, I have a new term for you to review. Elitist. I think it may just fit you.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote