View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #54
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I and many others will also happily discuss the use of storytelling tools in movies, but there's a time and a place (and a topic) for those things.

You want to discuss themes and messages and analyze a film, go ahead, but pick a film that encourages that sort of thing. Transformers isn't and shouldn't be that sort of thing.

Also, keep your film critic elite attitude to yourself pal. Like it or not, people actually do go to movies for the entertainment value, and judging them on that because they don't follow your ideas only casts light on yourself.
There's nothing wrong with going to the movies for "entertainment value." At all. I'm not trying to scorn anyone who does. I should have worded my quoted post more sensitively. It was extremely late, and I guess I was a bit punchy. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

With that said, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Vid Electricz wanting to discuss these concepts here. He didn't try to fill Review or Box Office threads with these topics. He created a new thread for those interested in analyzing the films from a sexist/racist, etc. contextual point of view. Why should his thread be bombarded with posts telling him to take his opinions elsewhere. If he wants to intellectualize the Transformers movies, go for it. It might to be fun to see where the discussion leads.

Also, any film is open for analysis. They're the product of an artistic vision - in this case Michael Bay's - and thus are completely open to interpretation. One of the best critical essays of last year was written about Top Gun. You may not like that, but it's true. Dozens of academic articles have been written applying auteur theory to the works of Michael Bay. There are common themes and artistic choices throughout his entire filmography. To dissuade someone else from examining the potential negative impacts of them is just as rude as his inappropriate broad generalizations of fans of the franchise. Both sides need to be more respectful.

Why is there no room for different types of discourse when it comes to Transformers movies?

Last edited by Episode29; 07-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote