View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #66
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I know the part in ROTF where they mention 9/11, but where is the reference in the other two.
Actually, since this is a Transformers movie, wouldn't the destruction of the ship be a reference to the episode of the show where the Autobots are forced to leave Earth and everyone thinks their ship is destroyed?
The other two are visual references. In the first, it's the scene depicting Megatron, in jet form, crashing through a high rise. In DotM it's the crumpling of the Chicago tower.

Now, again, those two instances could obviously be waved off as making a mountain out of a molehill. However, it's the method in which Bay frames his shots and depicts the action that's troubling. Obviously, art is open to interpretation, but - for myself, and several others - these two sequences read like very intentional visual allusions. After all, Bay is attempting to sell disaster movie scenarios, and it's a very easy shorthand technique to contrast on-screen catastrophes with real world ones.

Now, I'm not against directors evoking 9/11 in popcorn fare. Spielberg pulled it off extremely well in War of the Worlds, and Danny Boyle with 28 Days Later. It can be done. But there's a crass sensationalism and lack of humanity to Bay's technique that I find distasteful.

As for the shuttle explosion, it may reference an episode of the show, but it's shot eerily similar to the Challenger explosion. I was honestly a bit taken aback when I saw it. Again, it's Bay's approach I take issue with, not the actual act of showing an exploding shuttle.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote