View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #72
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Yeah, that was rude of me to go for the ad hominem like that, but I really did try to make it explicitly clear in the initial post what I was talking about. Just looking at the responses, it's clear that many posters didn't quite understand that and instead interpreted it as an attack.

I can go through each of your counter arguments if you'd like me too, but to be honest (and I'm not insulting you here), the justifications and reasoning you've listed are only excuses validating the reason for the existence of sexism, racism, etc... for example, you comment about sexism:

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.

Yes, sex does sell. Our culture is obsessed with it. No one can deny that. It's not even that looks aren't everything (Most movie stars ARE good looking after all), the problem I have is the blatant objectification of women in these films that, like it or not, reinforces in many a pre-adolescent's (and men in general) minds that women are to be viewed as shiny trophies to be won or lost. I see it all the time, even today, Men who think they're James Bond talking about and treating women like pieces of meat. It would be stupid to say that all men are pigs, but they buy into the kind of mindless group-think that this movie promotes, then they are. It's not to say that movies are to blame, 'cause we all know that's not true, but along with a zillion other things, they are a contributing factor in how our culture operates.

I can tell, how these things make sense in the framework of the world that Michael bay has set up, but I'm trying to look at things from outside the box. Questioning why these things are the way they are and why more people don't care.

So yeah, sorry again for the needless slam.
My wife is my trophy and I am very proud to have her. I won the heart of a woman who loves me, and it would pain me deeply to lose her.

This is what I think they were getting at. The fact that Rosie happens to hot, just like most actresses in Hollywood, is beside the point. Besides, what man would not be proud to have a hot girl on his arm, or girl with a hot guy?

Keep going with my excuses.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote