View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #73
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
My wife is my trophy and I am very proud to have her. I won the heart of a woman who loves me, and it would pain me deeply to lose her.

This is what I think they were getting at. The fact that Rosie happens to hot, just like most actresses in Hollywood, is beside the point. Besides, what man would not be proud to have a hot girl on his arm, or girl with a hot guy?

Keep going with my excuses.

Didn't you say our society needs to realize that looks aren't everything? I've never thought of my significant other as a trophy that I won and therefore owned before, so we'll just leave that.

I presume your wife is a fully realized person with hopes, plans and dreams and a great personality, right? I'm sure she's got quirks and negative qualities as well. That's the kind of stuff that equals a fully realized character. And I realize that's a lot to ask of a character from a "mindless action flick", but others have done, so that shouldn't be an excuse.

The fact that the actress in this movie is an underwear model says it all. The fact that she's "hot" is not beside the point, it is exactly the point of her existing in this movie. This woman was never meant to have any characteristics other than "be hot, be sexy, be seductive...uh, be hot while running from explosions".

She's obviously and unabashedly there for guys to ogle.

Clarice Starling from Silence of the lambs, off the top of my head, is a well-developed female character, Marion from Raiders of the lost ark (from Spielberg, natch). Not a slinky underwear model who can only pout at the camera and look sexy to fulfill guys male power fantasies.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote