View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #79
Grievous
General of the Droid Army

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
-Sexism: Specifically, the objectification of women- Women are trophies to be won or lost. They must always appear sexy and seductive (for all the adolescent boys and peter-pan syndrome boy-men watching).

-Racism: If you're not white, you exist as a peripheral character. Most likely comic relief or some other stereotype (the stoic black man). In other words, you're disposable and you're a joke (blatantly racist buck toothed robots not withstanding).

-Jingoism: America is the best and the military is #1. English, dude, English.

-Homophobia: "You gonna go cry to your boyfriend? Pussy!" There's plenty more where that came from. Needless to say, these movies are riddled with the kind of sophomoric, juvenile macho-man, tough guy behavior that only the most ignorant among us (and little kids who don't know any better) buy in to.
My response to each of your complaints.

-Sexism: You sound like a women who is sick of seeing girls wear make-up and working out to keep their bodies in shape. Since when are women always the sex objects. Alot of women I bet wish their boyfriends/husbands had a six pack while alot of men wish their girlfriends/wifes had D size breast. It's in human nature to want a mate that appears to be in top shape. What about 007? Sex sells and there is no going around it.

-Racism: How come no one is saying that Ironhide is the trigger happy jar head white guy? Who thinks your a wus unless you drive a pickup truck. It's a movie about Robots and action. Not a movie that is trying to give people the wrong message about blacks. If the Autobots were all voice by white people and the Decepticons were all voiced by black people than I would make a case on Racism. But thats not the case is it?

-Jingoism: I would rather have a movie were the military is treated like #1 than a movie were they are seen as evil. Our Men and Women in the service should atleast get the respect to not have movies make them out as the bad guys. For real dude you are sounding like a movie is in the wrong if they are not against the military and if so you need your head looked at.

-Homophobia: How you see Transformers as Himophobia is beyond me and I really have nothing to add on this subject.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote