View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #103
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Analyzing movies like this, to me, isn't the practice of look at and evaluating the actual content (of which there is little), but rather taking a good hard look at the way the content both reflects and affects larger societal issues in our culture.
"Reflects" is one thing. This is tangible. Though I would argue it takes analyzing what is actually in the movie and avoiding the dangers of projecting what you think you see based of your own opinions about the world and everything in it. (like the south park episode about the poop and the pee). And I'm not saying this is what you are doing, just that is always a danger when critiquing something.

"affects" I would have a hard time studying without the use of grad students, and research both on previous written materials and just interviewing random people who go to these movies.

Debating and raising philosophical questions is one thing, but I'm starting to get the sense you may be looking for actual conclusions to which I would say good luck. Especially with a movie like this which at the end of the day it is so easy to ride off because as you say yourself, there is little actually there.