View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #111
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
It's difficult to engage in a discussion when the other side is only half participating, hearing what they want to and responding to points concerning their interest (in that case, his wife) and ignoring the rest.

What exactly that I've said needs substantiating that I haven't already explained? I've stated all my points and opinions in detail over and over again over the past several pages. If you'd like, feel free to go back and peruse them.

What you're looking for are concrete superficial examples of the things I listed (racism, sexism, etc...), but what you're obviously not understanding (as you've claimed I haven't explained well enough or substantiated my arguments), is that I've laid out my views and ideologies quite clearly in my initial post and in several others following that. Like I said, go back and take a look.

As for your "rebuttals", no I haven't answered to them as I have already addressed arguments of a similar nature (looking for face-value excuses for the reasons sexism, racism, jingoism and homophobia exist in these films). I believe you wrote for sexism, something along the lines of: "No guy is offended by looking at a hot girl." Totally missing the point. Sorry to be blunt, but if that's your rebuttal, you're just not "getting it".

Either you see and understand that these things exist in these films, or you just don't. It doesn't get simpler than that. If you don't understand the way these types of things exist in our society and pervade our media and culture by now (I'm presuming you're at least and adult), it's not possible to teach it through an internet message board. It's something you've either learned or you haven't.

What else needs explaining?
Your first problem is how you went about trying to get this discussion started. You think people should be offended by these movies, and if they're not, they're just to stupid to realize they are bing offended.

Yes, I get your point. You see sexism, racism, jingoism, and homophobia in society and you think this movie helps perpetuate it and that offends you. I get your ideology. Myself and other do not see those things in these movies. YOUR problem is that you take that as us not being able to recognize what we are watching on screen. What you see as highly offensive on screen, I see as a trivial matter. Yet your opinion is somehow more valid than mine.

You gave superficial examples to illustrate your point, then when somebody deconstructs your examples you claim it's just an excuse and the person just isn't getting it.

Is there sexism, racism, jingoism, and homophobia in society? Yes, there always will be. Do these films reflect or perpetuate them? I say no. And you haven't made a strong case to the contrary either. All you've given us is your perception, opinions, and feelings.

Last edited by bell110; 07-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.
bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote