View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #121
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

I’m going to address these concerns the best I can, using their actual definitions to help clarify exactly what we’re talking about here.

Sexism - Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex. Where is this in the movie? The only thing the movie does with the women that can be seen as a negative issue is the music video style shots of the attractive female leads. Are these shots necessary for their characters or story? No, but it is hardly sexist. Where is the stereotyping? As others have pointed out, both female leads broke through the typical damsel in distress cliché, and were actually quite strong and brave characters who fought along side the men in one fashion or another to defeat the bad guys. Yes, Rose’s character was kidnapped, but she certainly held her own in this situation, and even braved meeting Megatron face-to-face. Discrimination? Again, I don’t see it. These women were not made to sit ideally by to let the “strong men” take care of things. They were front and center throughout much of the situations. Never mind the government official calling the shots was a woman. All this taken into consideration, the only negative thing we can say is that the female leads were made to look sexy as well as being strong, aggressive characters. Looking sexy is not sexist. Unnecessary at times, sure, but certainly not sexist. In the theater I saw it at, there were several girls who screamed with young teen lust whenever certain male characters appeared. Their reaction does not make those characters’ portrayals sexist. One’s reaction to what they’re presented does not always equate to the intent of what they’re shown. I agree that the camera’s lingering went too far, but sexist the film is not.

Homophobia - An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people. I don’t recall any homophobia in this movie. As another poster pointed out, there is a gay character (btw, how does including one equate to homophobia?), and this character does not fall for the typical gay cliché; he was actually quite the bad ass and personally, was one of my favorite characters. I don’t see how having an active, smart, physically capable gay character (whose sexuality is never made to be an issue) is evidence of homophobia.

Racism - A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Again, where are the examples that show this? Having the main characters be one race or the other does not equate to racism. Nevermind the fact that Bad Boys 2, arguably Bay's biggest film outside of this franchise, and a nearly completely black cast...why would a racist do that? Do you cry foul when a british movie features british actors in the title roles? There are certainly other races that live in England, but its primarily white british actors you see. Is that racist? Hardly. And to complain about Tyrese Gibson being a “stoic black man” is really grasping for straws, especially considering he was the voice of reason through the initial battle, and his buddies (also black) were integral parts of the winning side. All this taken into account, I really feel like you will look for ANY thing to gripe about, and the only way you’ll see something as racially acceptable is if Optimus spent half the movie proclaiming equality for all.

Jingoism - Extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy. I think you’re confusing patriotism with jingoism. These are not the same thing. If you want to see jingoism in film, go watch Team America. And even when discussing patriotism, there is little in this movie. Having the military be an integral part to a sweeping sci-fi epic about aliens trying to take over the world is not patriotic – its logical. Especially when you’re wanting major action sequences. I see no cause for alarm or any sense of jingoism by incorporating the military into this type of movie. There was no sentiment of America being the greatest nation in all the land. But since this is a movie made in America, by Americans, taking place in America, you feel it is unnecessary to include the US military, or any sense of Americana? I think this boils down to you being from another country and not liking any indication that the movie takes place here. Simple as that.

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 07-07-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote