View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #114
Nell2ThaIzzay

Default Re: James Mangold will direct The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
That would be a huge mistake

Go out and rent The Wrestler and Black Swan. Both characters in those films are synonymous with Logan's existential condition.

The journey and struggle that he put them on, both characters and actors, would alone make for an amazing Wolverine movie - which I'm pretty sure is why Jackman was so excited about recruiting Darren.

I know you liked Origins, Nell, but its such a misrepresentation of the character. A Wolverine film should be character-driven. Not popcorn-driven.
Eh, I don't see how it wasn't character driven. Everything leading up to Weapon X, and even a chunk of it after Weapon X, was all about Logan, the relationships he built with people, and then those relationships being taken from him.

But it's also a comic book, and as Thebumwhowalks seemed to imply, I think that some people are overestimating the deepness of a comic book story. It's still Weapon X, it's still Wolverine v. Sabretooth, it's about scientists experimenting on him, and them him raging on them afterwords. Now, I know a lot of people had a problem with Logan's lack of berserker rage in the movie, but I really didn't take issue with it. There were certainly some aspects of the movie I didn't like, but overall, I really never understood why people hate it so much.

One of the things that I love so much about the movie is that I feel it focuses on Logan, and his relationships with both Kayla and the Hudsons so much, and gives those relationships time to build and breathe. We get 45 minutes of that before we get into our first big action sequence, which is the helicopter chase. After that, sure I'll admit the movie loses a bit of focus and kinda ends up all over the place, but the first half of that movie alone give it a lot of heart. And while the 2nd half bounces around a bit, I don't think that it ever loses focus of what his motives are.

Sure, it's not a character piece the likes of The Godfather or Citizen Kane or something, but it's a comic book movie, it's not supposed to be.

I pride my favorite movies on having a certain level of character focus as well, except for certain circumstances, I'm not really impressed by non-character driven action films (although oddly enough, with the whole Aronofsky conversation, I get turned off by movies that become -too- artsy as well, I have a particular medium that I look for). That's why I love X-Men in general, because there is a good focus on character, and what I consider to be a great foundation for the world these characters live in, and I thought that X-Men Origins: Wolverine matched that. To this day, I still don't get why people are so upset with the film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote