View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #115
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User

Default Re: James Mangold will direct The Wolverine

I'd say the problem when it came to XMWO being character led was it was far too truncated.
We see them as kids, and then bam, they are in the wars, but, bam, it is just for the opening credits, then bam, they are in Stryker's mutant team.

We didn't get to see them bond as brothers, or come to terms with the fact they are mutants, we are just left to assume what happened there.

It was as if they were in a hurry to get to the X-Men 2 stuff with Stryker, as if that was all the audience wanted, to see the blanks being painted in for that story we got the gist of already.

I'm not saying we should have gotten a massive time spanning movie like Once Upon a time in america, although that would have been a frickin amazing Wolverine origins movie, lol, but we should have gotten a helluva lot more than that.

They skip through the time periods and character development between the brothers in order to get to the Stryker stuff, so the whole aspect of them being guys who don't age normally, and have lived through the ages is totally irrelevant. With the story told, they might as well have aged normally, so they did not take advantage of the storytelling potential with that fantasy aspect, which would have been very interesting indeed.

I mean, I was very excited when seeing the initial trailers with Wolverine in the Civil War and Vietnam, and then all we get of that is an opening credit sequence?! They could have had a great opening half hour with all of that stuff, seeing pivotal moments in their lives over the course of the early part of the century, or even the first hour, and had the Stryker stuff in the last hour and twenty minutes or whatever.

Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote