View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #64
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Scenes in the movie that made go "Uhhh really?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Yeah? Good for you. Disagree all you want - then go and study the arts, literature, and analysis and learn why you're wrong.

Your musings about intent might be all well and good, but they have nothing to do with objectivity, or even your attempted point that art is actually subjective. Intent matters nothing at all in any analysis, outside of asking the following question for d-baggery's sake: "Did the maker/s intend to make a piece of ****?"

I'm sure Bay intends to make pieces of quality art - or, at the least, he intends to make exciting blockbusters that wow and woo and awe his audience - but he generally does not, in the first case, and definitely has not with this movie. It is not a good movie.

Here's a very easy one: Bad Santa vs. Bad Teacher. Or do you contend that the makers of Bad Teacher had the intent of creating an inferior version of Bad Santa with none of the charm, humor, character growth? (Or, see aforementioned question: "Did the maker/s intend to make a piece of ****?") Because, if so, boy, they succeeded admirably, and guess what? Yep. Bad movie.

Geez, it really isn't hard to grasp.
Geez, I wonder if I punctuate my points with a resounding "Geez" that maybe they too will finally hit home.

I for one find it hard to believe that these so called critics even consider Bad Santa a good film, then again considering how "objective" all this is, I'd be a hypocrite to start questioning them now.

While we're on the topic of Santa, art and willful intent. What happens when some schmucks start running around the film boards telling everyone to hate a somewhat cult classic titled bad Santa because it's a silly an offensive, low denomination geared "commentary" on the role the character that Santa Clause has on society, kids, and a mans struggle with identity. They go one to proclaim that you instead watch George Seaton's 1947 classic Miracle on 34th street to see the material handled in a far greater more tasteful and down right more artistic fashion...objectively speaking of course...wouldn't that be something.

Bad Santa is a Bad Movie...at least when compared to you know a real filmmakers take on the material. But hey, perhaps Terry Zwigoff intent wasn't to make a "good film"

Bay intends to do what he does and he does it well most of the time. When the audience score is in the 90 percentile and the film is en-route to box office glory, I'd say the producers intent to success ratio are probably on point.

As far as artistic analysis, I think it's shaky at best, that Marla Olmstead documentary a few years back pretty much stomped all over the argument and that wasn't even it's intent.