View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #109
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Scenes in the movie that made go "Uhhh really?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Hmmm...I think it's not so much abiding by "rules" per se (rather than the ones the movie itself sets in place), but rather the "suspension of disbelief". As in, how much do we as the audience need to suspend our reflex to not believe what is happening on the screen to accept it in the story.

Here's a nice explanation (funny enough, there's an example for Armageddon and Star Trek):
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/sci-fi1.htm

When it's science fiction, any number of outlandish things can be made up (Star Trek, Spider-Man, etc...) and we as the audience accept the logic of the situation as long as the story, from that point abides by it's own set of logic and doesn't deviate. War of the Worlds comes to mind, where all electronic devices were knocked out by an EMP but somehow someone got video footage of an alien transporting to it's craft underground. So the movie wasn't following it's own logic it had previously set up. I thought the movie was OK otherwise and things like that are generally nitpicks.

In movies that are based in our world that purport to abide to our laws of physics and science, with no supernatural or outlandish points or elements in the story, the suspension of disbelief still stands but it becomes more apparent when the movie pushes the boundaries (apparently ships lifting off from asteroids) I haven't seen Armageddon in like 11 years, so I don't remember all the inconsistencies or whatnot.
That's an obvious theory.
I don't think the TF series has really overstepped it.

the shuttle walking on Armageddon was a nice catch though.
Spiderman getting those powers pretty much spits in that theories face lol.