View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #110
TheZink
Rocket Man

Default Re: Scenes in the movie that made go "Uhhh really?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
So you can make a fun film about it probably. apply your question to Xmen first class, apply it to watchmen and then conclude with the same point...

Cause you're not making a documentary, you're making an entertaining experience.
So a movie can be technologically and historically accurate and entertaining? Gotcha.

X-Men first class changed the whole Cuban Missile crisis. I understood that. I am sure history buffs rolled their eyes. I am sure people who are not intimately involved with the Space Shuttle or Apollo Missions didn't mind the changes to Armageddon and DoTM. I did mind.

Quote:
Bay and the rest of the people involved, including the people with more say than even he, probably thought it would be cool yea. In hindsight it's a pretty engaging twist.
How is it a twist? How much different would it have been if instead of the Dark Side of the Moon, it was a cavern or cave on the front side? Just how different would it have been? None. It would have kept the same story and added a sense a tangibility. Instead of changing history, you add to it.

Quote:
I'm sure someone out there would argue that all the stuff that happened in that film is bull **** as well...in fact I'm sure of it. But here you are with an opportunity to see the other side.
(the dark side if you will)
I am sure, but I stand by above. I know of many directors that do their homework on their films. They try to learn as much as they can about the subject so they don't get called out on BS.

Quote:
Nasa signed off and lent themselves fully to the production(if I recall correctly). They don't do that often...they probably thought it was a fun film for the whole family and left the docu stuff for the ron howard film. I honestly don't think most people are bothered by problems of that nature.
NASA the people making decisions don't speak for the workers who leave and breathe the shuttle or did for the Apollo missions. NASA is now run by bureaucrats and suits with the almighty dollar as the bottom line. I am sure Bay sold them the idea and $$$ was all they saw. I've worked with NASA people. They all say the same thing. "Yeah, it was fun, but full of unbelievable BS."

I guess what bothers me is how these inconsistencies seem so...easy to avoid. If someone just sat down and THOUGHT about it for 15 minutes you could get around it or add something to explain it. I don't need everything spelled out for me, but something to show me the director said "You know what, a space shuttle doesn't fly and take off like a giant plane, we need to address that for the get away from the asteroid."

TheZink is offline   Reply With Quote