View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #62
antonydelfini
Did I get You?!!

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

I just saw it and here's my 2 cents.

POSITIVES:
1. Steve Rogers- he is very likeable. Chris Evans seems to have put his heart and soul into the role. He is Captain America and forever will be associated with the role. His character development in the first and 2nd arc of the film is engaging and emotional. Perfect casting.
2. Supporting characters- from Peggy, to Bucky, Philips, Zola, Howard, they all brought their A game. It's kinda sad thinking Peggy and General Philips won't have roles for the sequel (but they could have flashback scenes), they really made an impression here and their chemistry with Evans is fantastic. Peggy is the 2nd best love interest (Pfiefer's Catwoman remains number 1) for a superhero movie yet IMO.
3. Music- very heroic and adventurous theme, but it didn't have a catchy theme for Cap.
4. The tone, mood, and setting of the film- top notch production. Bravo to the filmmakers. This is the most interesting superhero film yet visually.
5. The first hour of the movie- great mix of action and character development. I actually thought it was going to be the best Marvel film yet, until

NEGATIVES:
1. The 2nd hour of the movie- after the Bucky rescue, the movie seemed to have lost its heart and focus. Character development stopped to a halt, and caring for the characters stopped as well. The pacing and editing are kind of sloppy in the 2nd half of the movie as well.
2. The action- uninspired, been there done that action scenes in the second half of the film. Iron Man also had this problem in the second half of the film, but at least it has the character development and emotional arc going for it. The 2nd half of Captain America had no engaging character development in the 2nd half making it a standard action fare.

Its an 8/10 for me. It's a great score, but kind of disappointing because I would have given it a 9/10 and would have seen it as the best Marvel film yet if the 2nd half continued to have the heart and soul of the first hour of the film. Evans rocked, even harder than Downey as Stark IMO. A great start for one of my favorite heroes, and bright future for him.

MARVEL STUDIOS MOVIE RANKING:
Iron Man 8.5/10
Thor 8.5/10
Captain America 8/10
The Incredible Hulk 7/10
Iron Man 2 6.5/10

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote