View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #154
Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I don't see what's so wrong with genuinely good natured characters. I don't think they're boring at all. They serve as something we as people should strive to be. Although it's difficult since we live in such cynical and ****ed up times. The fact that someone like Cap or Superman go about their ways and want to do good in the first place because they want to do good is a thing we need. Without these characters, it would suck. We need them.Yes, they're fictional, but they're ideals and character can be possible and made real.
Itís refreshing to see a lead hero be just that... a hero. Steve is no morbid vigalante or narcissitic self absorbed anti-hero. Heís the real deal. His tough life hasn't made him bitter or jaded. In fact, itís done just the opposite. Heís needed to develop character because his body didnít develop and his parents died whe he was young. This is the key to Cap both in the books and in the film. Heart and character trump the physical elements and are what truly makes the character itself special. Even after he's given the great gift of being a ďsuper soldier,Ē he still continues to do the right thing. Itís not to prove anything to anyone other than himself because he has a high moral code. I love the fact that they choose his character for the experiment because he wouldnít take advantage of the gift. Thatís smart writing. Shades of gray are great in film (and there are those tones present here) but sometimes itís good to have character of pure heart, pure integrity and true morality take it to what history and everyone knows was pure evil. Itís refreshing to sit back and root for the ultimate good to take it to the ultimate bad guys. Itís why I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark and itís why I now love this film.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote