View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #189
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I hated some of that hammy dialogue. Like Doc Erskine's dreadfully obvious looking at the camera "NOT ALL GERMANS ARE BAD" line to Steve the day before the SSS experiment took place. We get it, we know the reasons why Germany fell to Hitler. You don't have to make a big deal about it because you think that people are going to go out and punch a German because they saw Captain America or something.
I don't know, personally I appreciated that scene. Even today, it's common for some people to equate all Germans with the Nazis (e.g. Daniel Goldhagen's book Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust). When it comes to fascism, there's still often this idea that "it can't happen here." Erskine's dialogue was a necessary reminder that the Nazi Party first terrorized its own people before it moved on to other nations. I thought it was a nice tip of the hat to history, to the fact that - even in this period, where as I've said, the enemy for citizens of the Allied nations was more clearly defined than it is today - things aren't always black and white, but shaded with grey. Given that the rest of the story moves on to HYDRA, which is really not that different from any megalomaniacal organization with plans to dominate the world in your average James Bond movie, I believed it was a necessary inclusion and helped flesh out the character of Erskine even more.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter

Last edited by Axl Van Sixx; 07-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote