View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #190
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The film was too safe, too much formula, predictable except the last scene. Red Skull always went running , Captain America wiped out his army quite easily, that "I had a date" ending, lack of emotional depth especially when Bucky died, the Howling Commandos were forgettable, the pace is too fast too. Its a safe movie.
You forget the fact that the movie is 2 hours long, it's both an origin story, and a full war-movie adventure which happens to mix with a superhero, a nemesis and everything involving Marvel previous and future movies.
I think on that level the movie largely succedes. It was a tough movie to pull off, I think the pace was good, I don't understand what you mean with 'too fast'. It's an adventure movie, it isn't supposed to be slow.
I understand what you mean with the rest, but I doubt this was a safe movie. It was a freakin' 1940's retro futuristic-superhero-war movie for Christ's sake!!

I though the movie was very original, I thought I was watching something different. Just like Asgard's parts on Thor, it felt refreshing to see Marvel characters in another setting rather than a city.
So no, in my opinion, I don't think it was a safe movie at all. If you start to think too much about it, every movie has flaws. But I think in this case, the good achievements overshadow the (small) flaws.

(I quoted you so I could start writing about the movie -which I saw yesterday- so don't take it as a personal post!)

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote