View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #427
Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

http://www.yellmagazine.com/captain-...-review/16675/

Cool review.

Quote:
In early scenes, before getting his Captain America physique, Evans seems to be channeling such all-American performances as Gary Cooper in Sergeant York.

Itís the superb war-time era atmosphere that puts the movie over the top. Similar to Raiders Of The Lost Ark in tone and palette, First Avenger feels like one of the classic black and white movie serials of the era itís paying homage to while still retaining the current-day special effects expected from a summer blockbuster. Kudos to Joe Johnson for bringing to life Capís WW2 adventures without sacrificing a lot of the gee-whiz, sci-fi trappings that made them so much fun in the first place.

I still rank X-Men: First Class as the best comic book movie of the summer, but Captain America: The First Avenger isnít far behind. Less serious, more adventure than action movie in tone and with a star-making, or perhaps star-redefining, performance from Chris Evans, Captain America is one of the best movies of the summer and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Don't agree about Hayley Atwell as Capís strictly platonic love interest but the Gary Cooper as Sgt. York comparisons are one I hadn't thought of before.

Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote