View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #78
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I never really bought that scene. Val Kilmer's Batman never came across as someone who criminals would be afraid of. If that had been either Michael Keaton's Batman or Christian Bale's Batman, I would be willing to believe that they would scatter in fear at the mere sight of Batman.
Well that's your own personal preference, of course. I would agree that Bale and Keaton are more intimidating than him, but then the movies they are in are more dark than this one, too. But the fact is that his Batman is still portrayed as a figure with the capacity to scare criminals. That's the point.

Whether you buy that or not is beside the point. That's the way it is in the movie.

Quote:
What I am saying is that Val Kilmer's Batman seems to lack the passion of either Michael Keaton's Batman or Christian Bale's Batman. Him trying to stop Dick from going down the same road he did is something of an exception, but otherwise, he doesn't seem to have much drive or passion as Batman.
That's because he faces a crisis of identity in this one. He's supposed to be lacking a passion for the mission because it's haunting him too much now. Kind of like Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2. That's why he makes the decision to quit. Remember when he's shutting down the Batcave and Dick is arguing with him that he can't quit?

In the end he over comes it. "I had to save them both. You see I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Not because I have to be, but because I choose to be".

Quote:
True, but I think he was haunted by his parents' deaths throughout the Burton films, and was emotionally scarred as a result of the experience.
Again that's all down to personal perception. In both Returns and TDK there is no direct references to Bruce's parents.

With Batman Forever it is made clear he's haunted and emotionally scarred by it to the point where he goes to see a psychiatrist to deal with it.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote