View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #79
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well that's your own personal preference, of course. I would agree that Bale and Keaton are more intimidating than him, but then the movies they are in are more dark than this one, too. But the fact is that his Batman is still portrayed as a figure with the capacity to scare criminals. That's the point.
The thing is that the fear in the hearts of the alley full of thugs that cause them all to flee is inconsistent and contrived. After all, none of Two Face's thugs are afraid of Batman, and they don't run, even though they are approximately 10 or 20 of them. So why are about 100+ thugs so terrified that all of them flee at the mere sight of him? Wouldn't they use "strength in numbers" and attack him?

Quote:
Whether you buy that or not is beside the point. That's the way it is in the movie.
Well, it affects my opinion of his performance, because what is shown does not match what we are told (visually).

Quote:
That's because he faces a crisis of identity in this one. He's supposed to be lacking a passion for the mission because it's haunting him too much now. Kind of like Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2. That's why he makes the decision to quit. Remember when he's shutting down the Batcave and Dick is arguing with him that he can't quit?

In the end he over comes it. "I had to save them both. You see I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Not because I have to be, but because I choose to be".
True, and I think that had Batman Forever maintained its subplots and such, it would affect my overall opinion of Val Kilmer's performance. However, I really can only judge the film and its content as I have seen it.

Quote:
Again that's all down to personal perception. In both Returns and TDK there is no direct references to Bruce's parents.

With Batman Forever it is made clear he's haunted and emotionally scarred by it to the point where he goes to see a psychiatrist to deal with it.
True, but it doesn't always need to be flat out said. I knew that Bruce Wayne was haunted by his parents throughout Batman Returns, through the film's subtleties, like when he "His parents, I hope he finds them." to Alfred about Oswald Cobblepot's search for his parents.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote