View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #81
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Because Two Face's men were anticipating Batman, armed with guns and the whole point of Two Face in this movie was trying to find and kill Batman. So if you're working for him then you've put aside your fears of Batman.

Did you see any of the Red Triangle gang running in terror from Batman during the attacks on Gotham when there was dozens of them?
Good point. Still, why did the thugs in the alley all run in fear? After all, they outnumber Batman 100:1, so they would have stood a good chance of beating him, even if they had to tire him out. So why did every solitary last one of them flee?

Quote:
So you really believed that thug who asked Keaton's Batman "What are you?" when he was holding him up close to his face? Because anyone with two functioning eyes can see it's a man in a costume.

These are the aspects of Batman where you're supposed to suspend your belief.
I guess I think of that as the thug expressing disbelief that he just saw Batman recover pretty quickly after getting shot.

I understand that disbelief must be suspended, but I feel that there should be some effort put in to make that suspension of disbelief easier in this case. Both Michael Keaton and Christian Bale succeeded in selling me on Batman being frightening to criminals. Val Kilmer makes no such effort, and, other than in the alley scene, there isn't an indication that criminals are afraid of him.

Quote:
In what way did it fail to maintain that sub plot? It ran throughout the whole movie. It's peppered with scenes about Bruce's nightmares.
What I am saying is that most of the Red Book subplot was excised, as were other things. The inclusion of those scenes would affect my overall opinion of Batman Forever and its components.

Quote:
That doesn't mean he's haunted by it, it means he relates to it. Oswald is missing his parents. Bruce knows what's that's like and hopes he finds them.

I lost my little brother several years ago. If someone said their little brother is missing or died, I could relate to it. It doesn't mean I'm haunted by it. I still miss him terribly, but I'm not haunted by it having nightmares and what not.

Relating to someone's situation doesn't equate to being haunted by it.
I'm pretty he's always haunted by it. It's the reason why he has trouble getting close to people in both Batman and Batman Returns, and it's why he's Batman.

Sorry about your loss.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote