View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #55
November Rain
Single Mother

Default Re: Batman-"the most realistic" superhero?

suicide, for the last three or four posts, i keep saying i'm looking at the concept archtype and you keep bringing back specific storyline specifics.

how can we have any sort of discussion when you keep looking at the finer details of a single fictional story detail and i keep looking at the larger scale trope of the character.

your batman argument to putting together high levels of probability in order to come up with the unique traits that produce bruce wayne is very reminscent of the physics experiment which showed technically if you shot a tank bullet into a sheet of paper, there is a possibility it would bounce off. you would therefore recommend building armour out of paper based on this notion as a realistic approach to protecting yourself.

that superman idealogy would be like wearing some sort of vest which may not be completely bullet proof but could save your life 4/10 and has been shown to save people's lives outside of an laboratory experiment.

if you did a normal distribution of people in society and the events leading to a batman were more scarce than the events leading to a superman, wouldn't that mean batman is less realistic?????

batman motif is someone who has been scarred by a traumatic event in his passed loved ones who has isolated himself in order to become the best in his specific field. by using the very tatics that caused the original tragedy itself.

that is completely different to tackling a bully that has bullied your friend. said student would have had to have left the school and this kid would have had to have excelled in every single extra curricular field of study, sports, exams, had the populat girls and completely erradicated bullying at his place, all while having no friends and touring school at night creating pionnering means to stop bullying.

how much harder is that than a new ethnic kid from out of town becoming the most popular and quarterback for the sports team who gets good grades and pulls teh school together??

in all sense, there's no way to quantify the media's response to a unique alien outsider joining us, and also there is a cultural aspect to take into consideration, some cultures may embrace him without any hassle while some may be more scared or skeptical of him. so either your or my situations are very feasible and one isn't necessarily more realistic than the other but mine is still very much possible.

we could be talking about the story of tarzan and you could spend the entire time talking about how impossible it is for humans to talk to animals and derail what i'm trying to present.

you're intelligent enough to know what i'm trying to place infront of you, i am not the person who came up with this concept, this is a well established trope which was established thousands of years before you, i, superman or batman ever existed.

and you know fully well you don't need, costumes, an alien origin, or any of that stuff to be considered a superhero, that's just glaze to make characters stand out on print.

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote