View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #22
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I think you’re misremembering the film. As far as anyone knew, a bizarre natural disaster was unfolding. The east coast had already suffered an earthquake and things were about to get much worse. Almost all of North America would soon be obliterated – including government, military command and bases. There was no reason to suspect that the strange landmass forming in the Atlantic might be an organized attack. And even if there was confirmation of an attack (from an advanced enemy who could somehow control geological forces), what was a devastated (if not totally wiped-out) military supposed to do – bomb a continent?
Okay, I might be wrong about the military getting involved. I can't really say whether or not they would send helicopters in to investigate if a continent started growing in the middle of the ocean... I have no idea.

But I think your still missing my point.

His plan would never have worked for two reasons. 1. Because you have to OWN something in order to sell it, and he didn't own any of that land officially. and 2. The minute he started trying to sell it, there would be a big red flag over his head saying 'arrest me, it was all my fault'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
Well the only superhero I really care about is Superman. And SR really made me care not only about Superman, but also about Lois, Richard, Jason, etc. I think Superman was adorable in this movie. Sure, he made mistakes, but he realized it and did something about it. I like my Superman more human. I don't want a one-dimensional robot that punches things.
Superman is the most important Superhero to me too.

I used the others, that I don't care about half as much, to illustrate just how badly SR made me not care about Superman.

No one wants a one-dimensional robot that punches things. I like my Superman as human as possible. If you'd actually read my posts above you would see that.

I don't consider what SR did to be making him more human. I also don't conside that he realized or did anything about the mistakes he made. He barely acknowledged them... because Singer doesn't acknowledge them. He paints the guy as a saviour from above, and the only human desire we see him have is to not be alone... which is resloved in the form of his child.

I see that interpretation as very one dimensional.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote