View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #305
jmc247
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Polaris Thread

Mike Carey interview

Quote:
Carey Prepares His Final "Legacy"

CBR News: Mike, let's start with the big question. It was announced recently that your run on "X-Men Legacy" would be coming to an end. You started working on the book about five years back when it was still the original adjectiveless "X-Men" series. Why is now a good time to end your run? And are you able to reveal what issue number will be your last?

Mike Carey: I wind up with #260, which means that if you count in the two annuals I'll have had a 75-issue run -- the same length as my run on Lucifer, but that's entirely a coincidence.

It's only a good time in one respect, which is that the pressure of other, non-comics work has been building and building over the last two years, to the point where I need a sabbatical just to deal with the projects that are currently on my plate. I once said I'd stay on "X-Men" until the X-office editors locked me in a steamer trunk and threw me into the East River, and I meant it when I said it. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary hiatus for me in the Marvel Universe, where I've had a wonderful time over the past seven years.

CBR News: Magneto, Frenzy, and Gambit appeared in another part of the station and began looking for Rogue and the missing Starjammers. During their search Magneto asks a very telling question: "What brought my daughter and the rest here?" Not, "What brought the Starjammers here?" That indicates to us that coming face to face with Polaris is very much on Magneto's mind. How does he feel about seeing Polaris again? How does Magneto perceive the current state of their relationship?

Mike Carey: We've seen Magneto going through a lot of changes lately -- very profound changes, both to his thinking and to his relationships with other mutants. I think as part of that, and maybe also as a delayed reaction to the events surrounding the "House of M" and the "Decimation," he's had to re-evaluate his relationships with his children. Even before that, we saw him declare to the people of Genosha that Polaris was his daughter and that he acknowledged her as an heir. My take on his current state of mind is that he's very mindful of his responsibilities towards his children and wants -- as an immediate priority -- to get to know them better.

CBR News: Speaking of Polaris, is there anything you can tell us about the physical and mental states of the Starjammers? These are a group of characters that have been fighting various conflicts for a long time. They warred against the tyrannical former Shi'Ar emperor Vulcan, participated in the "War of Kings," and now they're in the middle of the Shi'Ar-Grad Nan Holt conflict. Has that gotten to them at all? And what does their current conflict mean to them? How invested are they in it?

Mike Carey: In some ways, that has to come out in the course of the story -- and #256 provides a big part of the answer. You're right that they've just gone from one war to another over the past couple of years. This war is one that they walked into completely by accident, on their way home to Earth, but they seem to have become very actively involved in it, nonetheless. The question of what's at stake for them, and why they're so partisan in this struggle, is a very pertinent one.

More generally? I think they're pretty much burned out with alien politics and alien warfare and more than ready to return to Earth. Most of the objectives that took them into space in the first place have been met or else have become irrelevant. It's time. It's way past time, in fact: they're coming home (although it's not the home they left).

CBR News: Any parting thoughts about your five years and 75 issues on "X-Men Legacy?"

Just that I've had more fun writing this book -- and writing in the X-Verse -- than I can say. I've used this analogy before, but it's still the way I feel about it. I read and loved the X-Men as a kid, and again as a teen. To have written them makes me feel like I've added a few bricks to a massive and beautiful building that I used to stop and gawk at when I passed it on the street. It's a very specific pleasure.

I'd also like to thank my editors, and my collaborators, in a loud and awkward and public way. I worked with the best on this book. [Editor] Daniel Ketchum was inspiring and hugely supportive, as was Nick Lowe before him. They do an incredible job of giving writers creative freedom within the complicated and ever-changing parameters of a big comics franchise. Art-wise, I started off my X-Men run by working with the legendary Chris Bachalo, and finished up with a stellar team that included Clay Mann, Steve Kurth and Khoi Pham. I couldn't have asked for better, or been happier.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=34362

jmc247 is offline   Reply With Quote