View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #44
Dark Knight
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Superman Marketing Campaign Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionList View Post
A few thoughts:

- Comic-Con 2012 is Thursday, July 12 through Sunday, July 15. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the public's first look at any footage from the film. Not only is Comic-Con the most ideal forum to debut such material, but the timing is absolutely perfect, because the very next week...

- The Dark Knight Rises hits theaters on July 20, 2012. My guess is that that a teaser trailer, along with an extended first-look (a sizzle real with a few clips, etc.), will debut at Comic-Con, and then the teaser trailer (only) will be released online and in theaters for the general public with The Dark Knight Rises a few days later, as has already been speculated. I'd honestly be shocked if we got any footage before either of these events, and I'd be even more shocked if we didn't get any footage with either.

- The next trailer after the initial one will almost certainly arrive with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14, 2012. Both Man of Steel and The Hobbit are Warner Bros. properties, and, just as with The Dark Knight Rises, the pairing makes perfect sense. In fact, the last time Warner Bros. had a huge, blockbuster Christmas release followed by a huge, blockbuster release the next summer, it was Christmas 2007/Summer 2008 with I Am Legend and The Dark Knight, respectively. And we all remember how that turned out. Warner Bros. debuted the entire opening sequence of The Dark Knight before IMAX prints of I Am Legend. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar with Man of Steel and prints of The Hobbit, like premiering an entire sequence.

- I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of this happening with prints of The Dark Knight Rises either. What will set the marketing apart for Man of Steel from films of similar caliber is that all filming will most likely be complete before any trailer or footage is released to the public. In the world of blockbusters, that's a pretty rare thing. For instance, filming on The Dark Knight Rises had basically been in production for only a few weeks when the first trailer debuted back in July, and it'll have only just wrapped by the time a second trailer rolls out this holiday season. Conversely, filming will have been wrapped for months by the time the first trailer for Man of Steel (most likely) hits next July. This translates to the potential for more shots, sequences, and completed effects in the first trailer, which also means they'll have more time to perhaps complete an entire sequence to debut with The Dark Knight Rises, and then save a full trailer for debut with The Hobbit (as opposed to just a teaser trailer The Dark Knight Rises).

- Finally, a third trailer will of course be released late spring 2013, probably with something like Iron Man 3 in May. Either way, no matter how it all goes down, I expect any marketing materials to heavily emphasize Christopher Nolan's involvement, probably even more so than that of Zack Snyder's. And even if they get equal billing, I expect Nolan's name to be mentioned first, if only because of his pedigree over Snyder's when it comes to these kinds of things. Though, say what you will about Snyder's movies, but his trailers never disappoint. He'll be more hands-on with the marketing than Nolan, obviously, and I imagine he'll bring the same type of energy and great musical choices to the Man of Steel trailers that he brought to the trailers for 300 and Watchmen, which were some of the best trailers of the last few years.

I think it will be a given the marketing will include a heavy dose of both Nolan and Snyders name.

For example we should expect to see tags like:

"From the acclaimed Director of Inception and The Dark Knight Trilogy and the Director of 300 and Watchmen."

"A film from Producer Christopher Nolan and Director Zach Snyder"

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote