View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #91
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: A Spider-Woman film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Agreed, Viper would fit better, they have a history in the comics and its easy to tie her into the Hydra origin Spider-Woman has now.
It's not that Spider-Woman has a Hydra origin now. She always did have a Hydra origin (see Marvel Spotlight #32, Feb 1977). She was recruited and mentored by Count Otto Vermis (a high ranking Hydra commander) once she came out of suspended animation, and sent on secret missions to assassinate Fury and target Ben Grimm. I think even the High Evolutionary might've had potential Hydra ties.

When Viper appeared, I think there was even reference made to Jessica's Hydra background and even a hint back then that Viper might be Jess's mother. I'll have to dig out my old comics sometime.

The recent Spider-Woman Origins comic only tried to retcon and merge certain elements to reconcile different slightly accounts, but I feel that it made things even more confused, and certain things were just inconsistent and names slightly wrong. I don't see what was so difficult to accept before that Jessica had been falsely told that she was evolved from a spider (like other animals by the High Evolutionary on Wundagore) but that in fact (as later told) she had just been given special radiation treament and spider blood when she was sick. Hydra were known for their deception, so it's not difficult to believe they would've brainwashed her with ideas.